Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 9 - How am I doing?

I woke up this morning feeling the need to really take a good hard look at how my baby steps are going. Today is Day 9 - declutter a few minutes at a time. Since I have been doing major decluttering already, I think I'm good here. Flylady says to do it just a few minutes at a time. I'm waaaaaay more than a few minutes, but I'm not doing it all at once. A few minutes here and there, throughout the day, has made a WORLD of difference in my kitchen!

Next, I'm moving into the dining room. My main struggle with this room is papers - school papers to be exact. I have got boxes of papers stored along the wall. I'll show you some pix in a bit. It is so hard for me to part with anything that has belonged to my kids. I have just about nothing from when I was growing up (long story that I'll share sometime). It has bugged me for a long time, I'd love to see some of my drawings from when I was little - or even photos! I have so little. As time has passed, however, I became acutely aware that our stuff (papers, toys, clutter) was controlling us and that feeling is far worse than not having any physical connections to my past. My connections are in the here and now - my babies (13, 10 and 5) and my sweet & wonderful hubby! THAT is who I live for now, not the past, not something I have absolutely no control over. I can control, and beat, the CHAOS!!

So, how AM I doing? Here's where I should be baby steppin'...

Morning Routine

- Get up and get dressed to lace up shoes; fixing your hair and face
(I've been good about getting dressed to shoes, I'm getting better at doing my hair & face)
- Looking at your posted reminders in the kitchen and bathroom
(I actually look forward to FLYing as I'm waking!)
- Reading 2 minutes of reminders
(Yep-I'm good here, I'm not just deleting them, lol)
- Recognizing the negative voices and changing them; YOU ARE FLYing NOW!
(This will take continual work, my above post has been quite enlightening for me-I actually learned more about myself as I typed it)
- Put out your Hot Spots for 2 minutes
(I am loving tending my, now clear, hot spots!)

Before Bed Routine

- Keep your sink shining
(I'll give myself a 97% on this, I know I know....)
- Lay out your clothes for tomorrow
(Yes! It has helped me to move it to a better time in my day)
- Put out your Hot Spot
(Youbetcha!)

Not too shabby!! Now to finish my Morning Routine....have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Good Job!! Doesn't it feel good?

    I am wanting to do some decluttering today but my back won't let me bend over and stand back up. I was really wanting to get our closet cleaned out. I started on it but just couldn't. I guess I need to work on something that I can stand or sit.
    I am working on decluttering my sewing table. It is full of squares that need to be sew into a quilt. :)
    My computer desk right here sure needs decluttering. Think I will do that.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, you are doing really well! I like the idea of taking photos of your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in a few weeks. Looking forward to following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete